Sunday, February 20, 2011

Brooklyn Bridge

Dear Mrs.D,
I have just started reading Brooklyn Bridge by Karen Hesse. So far it is about a family who sells bears. In the family there is Mama,Papa,Joseph,Emily, and Benjamin. They are looking for a new place to live so they can expand their bear business. When they go out to meet the real-estate worker they meet Pauline Unger. She was sent by Uncle Meyer. They soon find out that she is supposed to be getting married this weekend. But Pauline doesn't have feelings for her Russsian anymore. Later on they go and visit their aunts. Since Aunt Beast and Aunt Mouse, the names the kids gave them, live together they only have to make one stop. And it's convenient because The Queen, which the kids named also, doesn't really like anybody but Joseph. When they get there Aunt Beast and Aunt Mouse start sharing family stories and think it would be just swell to have the family samovar there too. So Joseph goes to get it from The Queen. When he arrives he finds out that The Queen sold it to buy cosmetics. So he returns empty handed.
In this story there is imagery. There are parts where I can see it, hear it, and feel it. I can see it when Joseph arrives at Aunt Beast and Aunt Mouse's House and they all sit to listen to family stories. I can hear it when The Queen says she sold the family samovar for the money. I can feel it when Joseph returns to Aunt Beast and Aunt Mouse's house with nothing but himself.
In this story there has been feelings. I think the author is trying to tell a story about a family just getting on with life and basing it all to do with the Brooklyn bridge. In the book It tells about how the family has to cross the Brooklyn bridge to get to their aunts house's. The feelings in this book change throughout the story. In what I have read so far I am anxious to find out what will happen next.
So far this book has been a hit. It's even written by a Newbery medalist. I love how this author describes all the character's feelings and their personalities. So far I know why this author is a Newbery medalist. I am reading Brooklyn Bridge by Karen Hesse.
~Love,
Haley

1 comment: